Friday, July 5, 2013

Happy Independence Day!

Yesterday, I found myself standing in the rum section of one of my favorite liquor stores (South Lyndale Liquors) in the throes of an intense internal debate.  Tasked with coming up with a punch for a 4th of July barbeque, I was torn between several ingredients that might raise an eyebrow or two in combination. In my head, various sets of rules governing the composition of "punch" were also swirling around. At one point, I caught a rather concerned glance from a guy shopping a few feet from me and realized that I was quietly muttering to myself as I picked up various bottles and put them back.

Then it hit me: Rules be damned! This holiday is about celebrating independence! I concocted the "punch" below and it was a hit.


Fiercely Independent Fourth of July Punch
Serves about 4

6oz fresh raspberries
1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup cane sugar

2 and 1/2 cups Goslings Gold rum
1 and 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
3/4 cup limoncello
1/2 cup BG Reynolds Falernum

Ginger beer- use something gingery, I used Reed's, but would've used Blenheim's if I could get it here

Put raspberries, lemon juice and sugar into a blender and blend until very smooth. Strain to remove seeds and larger solids. Move to a large container with a lid - I use a half gallon mason jar. Add the rum, lime juice, limoncello and falernum.  Shake to blend all ingredients well.

To serve: Add ginger beer to the above to tase, you can start with 1/3 ginger beer to 2/3 mixture and adjust from there. 

Cheers and Happy Fourth of July Weekend! from the Bar Fly


Share |
Have a question or post suggestion for the Booze Whisperer? Email us at boozewhisperer@gmail.com