Friday, December 10, 2010

Cafe Maude

So last night I finally made it over to Cafe Maude in South Minneapolis*, which I have been hearing about for a while. Walking into the place, I had the impression of being in a venerated foodie institution, the kind of uber cool venue that had been there for years but managed to stay ahead of the trend curve. The decor is eclectically antiqued and the service is impeccable. I was surprised, then, when our waiter mentioned that they have only been open a few years. Suffice it to say they are using their time wisely.

Upon perusing their drink menu, I was so intrigued by the variety of creative mixology, I felt unsure where to start. In addition to the obligatory nods toward trendiness like Luxardo, pomegranate and a variation on the Aviation cocktail, there were a plethora of other interesting ideas like 'Blood on the Rocks' (a spicy whiskey sour with a red wine float). I spent a fair amount of time dithering over the menu, with the Booze Whisperer looking on in amusement, assuring me that, yes, he would in fact convey me home safely if I felt I had to try one of each.

I have lately been intrigued by the concept on fat washed liquor**, but to this point had been a little hesitant about trying it. A recommendation from our waiter reminded me that I had read a review of the 'Barley and Butter' in a local publication, so I took the plunge.

The drink consists of butter-washed Scotch whiskey, Oloroso sherry and honey. The color was about what I expected, it reminded me of unpasteurized cider. I'm guessing the slight cloudiness comes from the butter. The aroma hints of butterscotch but is almost overpowered by the orange peel garnish.

The taste is both complex and layered; I wasn't sure if I liked it until about a third of the way in. The Oloroso sherry, which I can usually take or leave, is very forward. The Scotch kind of comes in the back end, leaving the barest hint of the butter behind. The sweetness of the honey is very subtle, enhancing without taking over. All in all, an excellent choice for a cold winter's eve. We will definitely be heading back to try more cocktail options (and I won't be able to resist returning for the absolutely mind bending Ahi Tuna Poke). If you happen to be in the Twin Cities area, I suggest you do the same!

Cheers from the Bar Fly!


* In the year I have spent in the Twin Cities, it never ceases to amaze me that, despite some incredibly difficult liquor licensing laws, the mixology culture really flourishes here!

**For the uninitiated, the concept of fat washing is essentially infusing a fat into a liquor (i.e. bacon washed bourbon) and then freezing it and removing the fat solids.
Share |
Have a question or post suggestion for the Booze Whisperer? Email us at boozewhisperer@gmail.com