Sunday, May 9, 2010

If I Had to Choose Ten Beers


I've often been asked what my favorite beer is and the question is tricky because my beer palate is adventurous and I like different flavors and styles on different occasions. To choose just one would be a crime when the world of beer offers so many wonders ranging from creamy stouts to crisp pilsners.

As such, allow me to present the answer to the following question instead:

“If you could only drink 10 beers for the rest of your life, which ones would you choose?”

Before answering, let me point out that the following list is not necessarily my 10 favorite beers as distribution and diversity of styles would limit the list. As much as I love microbrews and home brews, I will focus only on those more well known brands which one is sure to find in any decent beer store (at least in the U.S.). Please note that the order does not denote a higher level of preference:

1. Guinness Stout (Ireland): The classic Irish stout – a necessary style to include on the list and perhaps one of the best beers ever made. No pub is complete without this beauty.

2. Pilsner Urquell (Czech Republic): There is a reason why the style is called “Pilsner”. Not only is this the original, but it is still the best in my opinion. It doesn’t hurt that Pilsen has the purest water of all brewing cities in the world. It also has one of the coolest breweries to visit, worth the trip!

3. Sam Adams Boston Lager (USA): This beer almost single handedly launched the microbrew craze in America, but it is now deservedly a national treasure. This lager has a unique and delicious flavor that lives in the realm between a pilsner and an ale – it is also great with food!

4. Orval Trappist Ale (Belgium): This copper coloured Trappist ale is easily one of the best tasting beers in the world. This is the elite of the elite and goes exceptionally well with the handcrafted cheese from the same brewery. A must try!

5. Schneider & Sohn’s Aventinus (Germany): This one is less mainstream than a lot of the other ones listed, but adds diversity to the list by being the only dark weizen with a high alcohol content. The flavor is rich and hearty and makes a lovely accompaniment to a warm wintery stew.

6. Paulaner Hefeweizen (Germany): It was hard to pick a top Hefeweizen. Living without Hefeweizen would be unbearable. While many are close on its heels, I picked Paulaner as it has served me well in my trips to Deutschland. Enjoy with a prezel, sauerkraut and sausages.

7. Fullers E.S.B. (United Kingdom): British ale occupies a special place in my heart and only has one representative on this list purely based on the need for diversity. For me, however, there is no doubt that Fuller’s E.S.B. fresh from the tap in a pub is the greatest British beer experience.

8. Gösser Dunkel (Austria): Selecting a German style schwarzbier was difficult. There are numerous candidates and I ended up with Gösser because it represents Austria, and goes down well with Weiner Schnitzel!

9. Chimay Grande Reserve (Belgium): It would have been easy to select all six Trappist ales, but ultimately I only picked Chimay Blue and Orval. Chimay’s Blue bottle offers a complex richness in flavor that really typifies great Belgian beer. It provides a different view of Trappist divinity than Orval.

10. Smithwick’s (Ireland): I once deviated from ordering Guinness at the Irish pub. I was pleasantly surprised. Irish ale is a great style and Smithwick’s is an incredible beer that offers a unique flavor that is absent from the rest of the list. Note: The bottle variety does not do it justice.

I truly believe that a beer drinker could live a great life if limited to only these beers. They offer a diversity of style and flavors that typify great styles, are readily found in most distribution areas of the country, and can satisfy numerous price ranges.

The good part about life, however, is that you aren’t limited to only ten, so be adventurous, support your local breweries and drink well!

Share |
Have a question or post suggestion for the Booze Whisperer? Email us at boozewhisperer@gmail.com