Friday, April 23, 2010

Frozen Bourbon Milk Punch - A NOLA Classic


So I recently booked a trip to New Orleans, which got me to thinking about my last trip there, which inevitably got me to thinking about Bourbon Milk Punch from the Bourbon House. When we visited last spring, I was perusing one of the magazines in our hotel room when I ran across a review of best local happy hours. The photo they ran was intriguing, it looked like a white milkshake in a cognac glass.

I must admit, my initial reaction on reading the words "Frozen Bourbon Milk Punch" was something along the lines of "eeww, that doesn't sound so good." I love the occasional pina colada at the beach as much as the next person, and I have been known to have a Brandy Alexander for dessert on a rare occasion, but bourbon and milk together just didn't sound good for some reason. Upon reading the rest of the article, however, I found myself intrigued (and let's face it there was no way that I was going to keep the Booze Whisperer away from the $1 an oyster happy hour special once he read that little tidbit).

So we headed over to Bourbon House, passing the line at Acme that stretched around the block and managing to score a couple of seats at the bar. BW ordered his oysters and was informed there was a bit of a wait for them. I girded my loins, took a deep breath and ordered the punch, opting for the smaller size.

When the bartender brought it over, the first thing I noticed was the liberal smattering of nutmeg on the top. I gave it a hesitant sniff and was pleased to note that the scent of vanilla was more prevalent than that of bourbon. Although I took my first sip with trepidation, I was instantly hooked. It was like an amazingly high quality vanilla milkshake, but instead of the vanilla masking with the bourbon, it kind of melded together into this incredible flavor all its own.

"Wow," I said, sucking enthusiastically on my straw. "wow!"

"Can I try?" asked BW. I gave him a small taste and then snatched the glass back.

"Now, get your own!" I ordered. He opted to stick with Abita, but when he shared his oysters, I consented to let him have some of my second glass of punch.

Bourbon House is kind enough to share their recipe for the punch online here. If you are headed down to NOLA any time soon, this is one happy hour you won't want to miss. Can't wait to go back myself!


Share |
Have a question or post suggestion for the Booze Whisperer? Email us at boozewhisperer@gmail.com